Sunday, April 12, 2009

Smashing Wet Times!

12 Apr

It is a cloudy day to start with. Somehow I knew
we will get a wet track as our playground. lipsrsealed.gif

Before I write anymore, if you are reading my friend, KP,
please note your kart, chassis and engine, is very good.
However it will need more TLC to make it better.
There's so much more potential with it. I only wish I have
more time and more $$ before the race. And if only the track
is dry. So please give it to the kart once you're back!
And Race!

As we went out on our qualifying times, the track was
actually quite good, although it seems to be on the damp
& slippery side. Huge clouds are looming dark and large
in the sky. The heaven threatening to pour any moment.
My first try on the qualifying got me a pretty good
times lining up fourth until Tony sneaked in front of me
with a difference of 0.02sec !!
Can you believe that?! laugh.gif

I went out and tried to do better but in the second runs
the rain drops got bigger and the track got wetter by
the seconds. Instead pushing I had to move delicately
around. So I did not improve my times nor position.
I will start Heat 1 in fifth.

Quite happy as those in front me seemingly have a better
engine in terms of power band, and much more time in
their karts.

As we awaited for Heat 1 to commence, the rain did not
hold any longer. It pours not with huge intensity, and
flooded the track.

12.30pm come and went but Heat 1 was delayed due to
the persistent rain.

Finally we thought we shall wait no more and started to
went out for a few warm up laps before going to our
grid positions. Then Leo wave me into the pits, when I
was just about to complete my 1st warm up lap,
I was thinking "Oh ok, no race in the wets ? Fine."

As the kart was coming to a halt I heard him saying
that 'Allan has crashed and smashed into a wall...' huh.gif

You read right... he had indeed smashed into the wall
after the start finish line!
The portion of the wall he hit collapsed! His visor flew
off his helmet when he himself was hurled on to the wall. sweatdrop.gif
Thankfully, Allan is fine! He even took part of the race in
another of his kart! That's a steely Uncle, I tell you.

His front of the chassis is seriously damaged.
In fact, I probably think his whole chassis is to be
scrapped.



This incident will have to be discussed further among
the racers for future wet races procedure.
Questions, discussions and decisions had to be made. gossip.gif
Otherwise, the next incident & driver may not be so
fortunate at all.

Heat 1 occurs at about 1pm. The rain had been thinning
all the while after Allan huge shunt. Though the track is
still wet, the amount of standing water has been greatly
reduced. thumbsup.gif

The race start is quite peculiar. After all of us did our
warm up laps, and stopped at our position. Then came the
word that we will do a grid start. Meaning there will be no
rolling formation lap(s). We will start the race once the
green flag drops. Interesting! smile.gif

The green flag dropped pretty quickly once everyone
formed up on the grid. I got off to a good start taking
4th immediately from 5th. After the hairpin, I moved
up to 3rd! I was moving! Moving Fast! COOL! nod.gif
Then came the downhill right turn, trying to stay with
the front pair I was too eager with my throttle... and
did a 180 degree spin! Darn.. wacko.gif By the time I recovered,
I was dead last. Since it was wet, I just need to continue
my race and try to make as little mistake as possible.
Anything can happen in wet!

Although I really cannot recalled much of the race,
except that many karts were spotted in awkward positions
on the track including myself several times over.. laugh.gif
The most memorable personal moment is that I snatched
6th place at the last corner of the lap lap from Julian! cool.gif
Although I should have done better, I enjoyed the wet
race nonetheless. I think the on lookers will be pleased
by the 'show'

Heat 2 started at 3pm. The track condition is about the same
as Heat 1 but slightly drier. Beside, that the sky looks clearer
with some sunshine breaking through the clouds. So we have
to be prepared for the changeable conditions. Settings has to
be gambled upon.

Will it stay relatively wet? More tyre pressure?
Or will the track eventually dried out in the process...
Narrow the front width? It will be interesting this one.

Because of the relatively wet track, we will have a grid start
position again. I was quietly confident of doing better than
Heat 1. Grid start seems to work better for me. Maybe
my reaction times and throttling are better in sync. wink.gif

Came the green flag, and I took one place instantly as I
overtook Allan who is slow getting away. When approaching
the 1st hairpin, I saw Tony came charging on my right as
we are both fast approaching the turn. I braked on the usual
braking point, and I just see him still going beyond the braking
point on a wet surface.. I think to myself he's not going to make
it through. True enough, he just went off while I went through
unscathed. I was looking ahead after negotiating the hairpin
to see where the front pack had gone.

Then I felt something not right with the engine. It was
hesitating. huh.gif It will not putting out power as it is supposed to.
Did I flood the carb? I lift the throttle almost completely
and hit it again. Nothing.
As I approached the next turn, the engine just went dead.
I checked the battery terminals. Nothing is loose.
I checked the fuel line.. nothing is came off too.
Darn! another DNF ! WAT THE !@#!@$@$@@ !! wacko.gif
In addition, it seems all of my DNF now occurs at the
stretch of the track which is from Monza to 180R...

In any case, it was understand that the battery is spoiled
from the vibration. It happens sometimes, it's said.
But why me?!!

The highlight of the day is Tony went on charging through
the field and got third from 10th !! Great stuff.
If my kart was still going, I reckon both of us should have
a good race fighting for positions.
Too bad though.

Now I can only look forward to the next race in May. smile.gif

No comments: