Sunday, March 8, 2009

Slippering Away...

March 8, 2009

Happy International Women's Day to all ladies out there!
wink.gif

Today's at the track, I mainly need to find out if my
shoulder can take the 'strain' of karting once again.
And that part of the test went ok, as I did not have any
immediate reactions while I was in the kart.
I hope there will no 'after' effect tomorrow too! laugh.gif

After adjusting and doing some simple maintenance on the
engine and chassis, I went out for a the 1st couple of laps
after the huge accident from the last race.
The track is just so slippery earlier on.
There is huge understeer coming up to the pit area.
Not only the lap times is slipping away, I feel I am slipping
into the grass and wall... Fortunately, nothing nasty happens.

During one of the test sessions with Track B, I caught up with
Julian on his Axiro.. Because his kart has very good torque which
will just have him pull away from me on all the straight sections,
I had to spend about 3 laps behind him. During these 3 laps, I
started to realize that somehow his rear bumper started to MELT!
At the beginning I though I am having heat stroke which is causing
me to see things... Then after awhile I saw the reason why the
plastic is really melting . His exhaust outlet is pointing downwards
and directly at the bumper! Gees! sweatdrop.gif
I tried to overtake him then and tell him about it, but I guess he
was engross in blocking me and overtake me again...
So I had to pit and Red Flag him into the pits before part of the
rear bumper got dislodged.

Then it's lunch time. Had a small packet of rice with vege and fried
chicken. Free! Louis treat! Hard to come by! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

However barely 10 mins after I finished the lunch, they are ready to
start a15 laps using the track configuration for the coming race.

WHAT The...... I was afraid to Burp out in the middle of the race,
and slid out! Although it's funny, it is very very uncomfortable
to be racing so soon after a meal.

Since everyone is ready to go (Louis, Graeme, Mary, Julian, and me,
yup that's everyone for today) I had to go too!

I was asked to be on the P2. Rolling Lap... and Julian just go off like
crazy fro the back! Meaning we have to reel him in and do another
rolling lap.

End up, Mary and I was at the front. Then Green Flag... Race start..
while we are up at the 'hilltop' we then knew it is a false start.
Some cork up somewhere some how again.
All this means another 'rolling lap' .

Okay, by this time I was bored. I can't remembered what I started.
But by end lap one, I was fifth, read LasT. However, I was very close
to Mary and Julian.
Julian then just slowed after the downhill 'chicane', nearly causing
me to whack into him. Luckily I managed to just move to his side
and drive on. Within awhile, I caught up with Mary on the hairpin.
Followed her for one lap, then overtook her on the hairpin as she
seems to have problem throttling on from the exit.
My guess is that the carb is flooded... Because the corner is so
slippery, the kart will go sideways or head on straight which will
probably implies we will have to be very careful on feathering the
throttle and have the correct line through it.

In any case, Mary head in to the pits slightly after I overtook her.
After which, I just kart away the rest of the laps. Since by then, Louis
and Graeme is too far ahead.

For today, although I did not manage to get any good times I am
just happy that my injuries from the accident did not cause any
'driver problem' on the track.

So I will just look forward in the race next week.
Aim to have some accident fun 1st!
happy.gif wave.gif

leaving with this pic en route into the track.
rock roads, palm plantation warming up to the early morning sun

1 comment:

jmguitars said...

i saw a picture of Julian's bumper ... too funny