Tuesday, February 10, 2009

& it ended with a BANG!

8 Feb 2009

Darn, sleep had not been well again the night before.
Just my luck, AGAIN!!
I really wonder why had it been so sleeping.gif anyway and regardless
I have to wake at 6.30am to travel to the track

One of the intentions for the day will be to fix the caster nuts
on the lower front so that Tony can help to set my alignment in
terms of caster angle.

That was done nicely, and during the sessions and the mock
race I feel the handling was good. Jason helped to eradicate the
rear from swinging upon the corner exits. thumbsup.gif

However the engine suddenly lacks in overall power. Have to check
if the clutch shoe had actually been worn too much already.

The few of us who were there managed to get together and have
a quick discussion on the race improvements for this year.


Come this Sunday, 15 Feb, we will see if it will all pan out as we hope
it will.
Finger crossed!

Did I mentioned we had a mock race?
We did a 25 lap race using Track A.
Start position was determined by drawing lots, and I got to start 3rd.
Total, there were 9 of us in it. Tony and Mark started in the front row
in 1st and 2nd respectively.

The 1 rolling lap was not particularly good as Mark was dropping too
far off, when he should just be by the side of Tony. When the green
flag dropped, he was behind me.
Not a good start for him and those behind him.

As I was saying earlier, the engine refuses to work that day and I
was promptly passed by a couple of guys at the start of the 2nd lap
and never recovered from there. At one stage, I was following Mary
and Ivan, but then drop off.

At about 3/4 into the race, I saw Mary and Ivan overtaking Graeme
and I knew that either Graeme was tired or he was having some
problems on his kart.
So I pushed a bit more and within 2 laps I overtook him just before
the turn in at the pit area. But lacking in power he overtook me again
before the start finish line.

Next lap, the same happened again as I saw that he was slowing for
the downhill section meaning his rear is losing grip. Seeing this, I tailed
him all the way and brake for the late corner entry. However, the power
of my engine cannot make this overtake sticks for long straight, and he
always overtake me then.

About 3 or 4 more laps to go, and I think to myself that there's no point
challenging for the position now as we may hit one another when it does
not matters as much.

So I waited. I'm just happy to be at his tail. Waiting. And made known
to him that I am there. See if there will be a mistake.

Last Lap. I know that I will do the same overtaking maneuver again at
the same spot. Downhill. I was just about half a kart behind Graeme. I
went straight for it, braked late, hold him off at the corner exit, and
power through to the uphill at the pit area. Last corner. was taking the
middle line thinking he should have no way through to the finishing line.
BUT I was wrong... we were side by side exiting the last corner. sweatdrop.gif
My kart was on the outside, Graeme on the inside...
Side by side to the finish!

I just lean forward hoping I can out run him on the last stretch!

Then I think our front wheel touched. I went a bit to my right, and
had to steer back left so that I will not end up on the grass..
As it happened, our wheels touched again.
Gees... this is getting exciting as we are still neck to neck, side by side!
sweatdrop.gif shocked.gif sweatdrop.gif shocked.gif
As we finally approached the finishing line, we touched again but I
had to hold my line and prepare for the right turn through

Race was over then, and I seriously dunno who finish tops but as
I was turning I saw Graeme heading straight, spun and hit the barrier!

BANG ! lipsrsealed.gif

Oh Oh... Later, I realised not only did he hit the barrier, he ended up
in the wall too. I feel bad though as it was supposed to be clean fun.
But then again, this is racing.
Things like these happened sometimes.
Thankfully, Graeme and I laughed over it after I pitted smile.gif

After all these, the boss, Louis lighted up 40 belts of fire crackers!
CNY celebrations to the max! biggrin.gif

It was not a bad day at the track, but I need to work on it.
Solving the lack of power mystery again.
I need to recover from my blocked nose too, as it was very blocked
when I started to drive back.

Hope all will be well this coming race. And it to end with a Good Bang
for everyone! tongue.gif

No comments: