Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How to win a race

The next club race in Plentong track will be about three
weeks time from now on 15 March 2009.

It will be of 25 laps of this track configuration
From the track layout, we should be expecting a very fast race
with the long straights.

Ahh, I entitled this entry as "How to win a race" not because I
had won a race previously but I am asking myself on how to win
a race.

To win a kart race, I believed I will need a reliable and quick engine.
I had been using Vortex Rok 125cc, it is a dependent engine and had
not given me any major issue. However, for the previous years with
the standard minimum weight of 160kg for all engine classes Rok
just can't cut it.

This year with minimum weight requirement for different classes of
engine, I do think the engine stands a better chance. My friend, Tony,
prove it so in Race 1.

Chassis Setup has been be near perfect for any chance to be leading
and finishing the race ahead of others. For the races in Plentong, we
will have to try out different rear sprocket sizes for the different
configurations. E.g. with the configuration with the longer straight,
we will have to use a smaller size. If the configuration include the spoon
then I may have to mount a bigger rear sprocket for the uphill climb
before the spoon. Other setup like front width, front alignment, rear
width and seat fixing all had to be nicely put together.

Tires management. In a race weekend, there will be 3 different
components. Qualifying, Heat 1 and Final. We do have a 'no tires
change' rule once we started the qualifying with the set we had on
the kart. Exception will be that if the tires are too bald and may burst.
That will be a safety issue. Thus, it is important not to drive over the
limits and get too gungho and wild. If you are sliding too much by going
too hard in Heat 1, then one will suffer from a obvious lack of grip in
the Final.

Physical aspects of the driver will be vital in getting the kart to the
front. Driving at the limits demand a lot from the drivers. Maybe I should
not say driving, it is Racing! One have to concentrate very hard on
driving very fast, and at the same time have to prevent others from
taking the position away. Most times, this happened in a very hot
and humid environment. So the driver have to be relatively fit to drive
fast in a race distance. I would add skill / talent in the mix here.

And in the end, one has also depends on Luck. Believe me, you can have
all the necessary attributes and equipment to win a race but one
tiny unfortunate / unforeseen circumstance will just end the chance
to win a race. But the brave and the prepared make their own luck.
They can align the stars in their favour.

I wish there will be a day soon I can be the 1st take the chequered flag.

wink.gif

No comments: