Sunday, May 30, 2010

Rise and Rise Again

30 May

This is a quick write on the race last week in Plentong,
my 'play ground'

I had fun once again, and am delighted with the jostling
with some of the guys on track.

But I was really knackered in Heat 2, and was really doing
the best not to pit in with some cramps starting in my abdomen.
Thankfully, I was managed finished in 5th in Heat 2.

Video from Mark @ FB

The race 'preparation' was, of course, not the best.
After the Nescafe race at KartRight, I was away in Hong Kong
for a week for work. To make matters worse, the first day in HK
I was ill with 'something'. Maybe I was just too tired.
That put me in bed for the entire day, and the rest of the day
with no activities but work, sleep, and eat!

And then, there I was in Plentong on the Sunday to race.

Truth to be told, I had to be there.
I missed my own kart!!

Although I was very grateful for the chance to use the Gillard in
the round of Singapore National race, I just could not have the
feel I have with my own kart.

Guess what, sitting into my own kart again that day, felt somewhat
strange. It was different. It was like my body mould itself to fit into
the other seat on the Gillard seat. But it was a good different.

It was good because I managed to qualified fourth or joint fourth
with Rory with the same time of 46.08! Imagine that...
Coin tossed, I won and I chose to have start 5th instead of 4th.
Taking the 5 points for 4th place. I was not thinking about the
points at all then, I wanted to start 5th which cover the inside line
for the 1st corner.
However the points did help later on....

In Heat 1, Leo was hit with problem with his engine again.
KP too was unable to start with the rest with the pack, when his
carb flooded in the slow down.

And Rory just blasted off to took the lead once the green flag
dropped. He did some good job in staying there for a lap or so, but
Ang was just too quick. Ang was doing 44something that day.
It is a almost breeze for him at the front once he got past Rory.

Gary and me then was behind Rory. Gary got past soon enough.
For me, I was probably just waiting. As I had to remember that
we were on equally footing in terms of lap times from the qualifying.
The moments came when he was constantly making some mistakes
at the downhill hairpin among other places. I was gaining on him fast.
Had to get past him soon before I lost ground myself or lose a place
to Tony.

I picked the spot to gather the pace after the start finish line and
took 3rd at the straight. And defended like a mad man after that.
Again, much as I like to just speed away, our speed was very very
close. Rory and I even had the exact same time in Heat 1!
Towards the end of the Heat 1, Rory was pushing to overtake me
again and I defended with all I have. One of the last laps, I brake
very late in the last hairpin before the start finish. He did likewise,
and had a little moment.. when his kart stall could not start. Tony
took his place. Then I was going in too hot in the hairpin after and
screech my tyres like a lunatic... Pure Fun!

Heat 2 as I mentioned was a case of trying to finish where I start.
It was tough. Leo with his kart fixed, and Rory coming up strong
I just had to concede to end with 5th place in that heat.
I was truly wore. But the times the few of us was doing is about
~45.6s
It was really fun and fast.

Basically, all this means we will have some good fun in the remaining
race. As long as, we respect other drivers, and be disciplined on the
track. I say this because in due times when everyone is on a competitive
times and only a little means a lot we will see some sparks on the track.

I hope it will be just sparks... and not flame throwing.

Somehow, I will be sure the kampong race had no need for that.

cheers

No comments: