Monday, May 24, 2010

Last, but not least

27 May

Some had asked me why do I joined the race for the Round 2
Nescafe National Karting Championship.
Let me answer that it is mainly for the fun or it, and I do want to
experience the sanctioned race.
I had been racing Permas or Plentong for some 4 years now, and
I think I want to expose myself to some new challenges to keep myself
learning something new.

RMC in Malaysia is actually a better venue to improve because the
engine is standardise, and to me it means everyone should be examining
themselves in terms of skill, techniques and settings.

For Nescafe championship it is quite interesting to see so many engines
running together, the feel is close to what I experienced in Plentong.
But a harsher ride!

Basically I was not familiar with the track. I had only been on this
track for only ONE meaningful night.
So to be at the last to cross the finishing line is not a surprise.
What to me is a surprise is how much struggle in terms of physical
strain I had. The neck, shoulder and forearm were all aching
by the end of Saturday.

Although I feel I had a better drive in second Heat in the late
afternoon of Saturday, I was still, well, last!

But it was overall a good experience.

Sunday, was no different. The only thing was that I was really
feeling the effects of the previous day.
During the warm laps, I could already sensed today will be the day
that I will break myself into pieces!

And as all self proclaimed prophecy, the 18 laps Pre Final feels
like forever! I was one lap down at the checkered flag.
I was finished. Due to an incident at the start of the Pre Final
in my group, I was able to make it to the finals.
And that would means another 24 laps.
I just can't see myself doing it...
Perhaps I should try, but thinking of a early flight to HK the very
next morning for work and my right shoulder screaming "PAIN"

I elected to 'DNS'

Will I try again to race in this series?
I might, but seriously, for anyone who is interested to do
decently at this race one will have to really set up the kart nicely
and practice & practice there.

And anyone who think this small track is just small with
no challenge, please get on the track and try it.
Maybe I am a weak driver, but the track layout does test the
drivers to their limits with very little breathing room.

Hence... I will still very much prefer my playground in JB.
The driving pleasure there is still to my liking.

Pics by Mark Lange. click to enlarge.

No comments: