Sunday, October 18, 2009

Better than _e_

19 Oct

Yesterday, me and my friend, Lennie, went to the track bright
and early (we move off from my place at 6.30am!)

One of the tasks is to ascertain if the his new Mychron4 has
a faulty Magnetic Senor.
With an another sensor fitted on to his unit, we managed to
get 'laps times' which effectively told us that he is a unlucky
dude. I don't how many people got their units with a faulty
sensor, but I'm quite sure there isn't that many! lipsrsealed.gif
Anyway, a replacement part will arrived soon enough for him.

Still with Lennie's day...

Both of us went out on track together for a second session.
He was in front of me about half a lap, and I was trying to close
in to him. After the 3rd or 4th lap I noticed there was a black
piece of 'something' on the spoon section... I think I avoided it.
Still the next lap, I saw the one piece is now pieces here and
there. So I went back into the pits, and soon after Lennie was
in too.

"Hey, there was something on the track, right? You saw?"
In my thoughts then, I was thinking some part of fun karts may
have fallen off or some items from the fun karters could have
dropped on to the track.

Only then, Lennie realised it was his phone that was on the
track!! GOSH! It was a LG phone which claimed to be almost
indestructible even if it is run over by a car.
But apparently, damage by kart is more serious. smash.gif
Although the phone do seems to be still 'working' ... barely.
So I told him, the rest of the guys reading this, please
please have your personal belongings in a bag in a locker
and not in your pockets while you are having fun on the track.
With the vibrations and turning forces of the kart, things do
finds its way on to the track surface or anywhere.
If you are fortunate, it's just a phone. If you are not, it can be
passport, house or car keys that gone missing and never to be
found. Or found in pieces... many pieces.

My day at the track was just getting into the kart again,
and trying my painted helmet for the first time! happy.gif

The HJC AR10 helmet fits well. The air intake gives plenty of
air which keeps me breathing. tongue.gif While the "exhuast" system
of the helmet keeps it firmly on the head and not have the lifting
off feeling which I get sometimes from the MHR.
I'm still waiting for the tinted visor, the clear ones is, well,
too clear! biggrin.gif

James Lee was at the track late on. He was going to run in his engine,
which I reckon he is going to use for his participation for the Nov
Invitational race at Sepang. When I went out for my final session,
without me knowing he watched for awhile.
Returning to the pits, he gave me some valuable inputs on how to
get the race line and reduce the lap times.
The gist (i think, if i got it correctly rolleyes.gif) is really not to be too eager on
the throttle, be smooth, slow when one need to, and focus on the exit.

Seems easy?
Not so !!
Why? Let me explain.. Begining with this odd analogy:
One of Lennie's friends who tried his kart a few weeks back,
exclaimed that karting is "Better than Sex!" blush.gif

When we are driving the kart we all experienced the
adrenaline rush. Most times, what we wanted to do is just to
keep the foot down on the throttle, and steer quite wildly.
The feeling of G force give us more rush. It's Shiok!
And then we want more rush, and we go more wild (on track
not some places else)lipsrsealed.gif

However, we really have to realised it's not the fastest way
around. I had experienced this a couple of times that when I
feel "slow" that the lap times are actually better, faster.
When we are "slow" I believed we are controlling the kart
better around the track, and hence there's no wastage in
steering and throttle movements. Every little bits power from
the engine is used to move the kart around the track faster.

I hope I understand this and put it to good use.
It's not easy, but I will most certainly do my best to have
more 'slow' laps.
Perhaps in time to come I will too exclaimed it's "Better than
sex!! " at the track tongue.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

No comments: