Monday, June 8, 2009

Frameworks

8 June

On Sunday, 7 June, went on to the track to look at my kart
again.
I begin the day looking at the engine balance shaft just to see if
there's anything wrong with it.


Fortunately, there is nothing wrong with it. However on the flip side,
that means there's something seriously wrong somewhere else..
namely the chassis and it's settings.

That seems to be the answer.

After fixing the engine back on to the kart I went out on to the track
with Allan for a couple of rounds. I was having no confidence in the
kart. I could not push hard at all, and he duly overtook me. I never
could mount a challenge after that. With 2 laps driving as fast as I can
or as fast as the kart allow me to I stop. It was really bad.

After Allan stopped, he told me my rear end was twitching excessively.
That how I felt in the kart too. The back end was especially an issue for
the very quick left then right section after the Spoon section.
A small movement on my steering will result me being 'thrown' about in
my snug seat. Scary !

In the last race, it was very close to full throttle in the same section.
On my kart, I had to lift else I would feel I may be thrown off.

We did some works on the front end, then was heading out to test the
change but the weather will not cooperate. It poured heavily.
I was going to continue to work on the kart with its rear to be
widened too. But alas...

It is also noted that my aged chassis is now 10mm higher on the right
side. That would also translate to a very ill handling chassis.

So now I have to ask Louis to try to level the chassis and see how it
goes from there. I really hope there will be some marked
improvement else it is really a high time for a chassis.
Truth to be told I had never put the importance of chassis this high up
in my assessment, but now I certainly know what a good handling chassis
can do to one's driving, good or bad.

All in all, that is to say a bad driver can hide behind a good car
but with a bad car, there seems to be no hidings for any driver.

No comments: