Friday, April 9, 2010

Formula BMW, Richard Bradley, and Singapore Karting

9 Apr

Last weekend, beside the F1 race that happened over the weekends,
there are other supporting races at the same time.

One that is of interest to me is the Formula BMW.
Why?
Because of Richard Bradley, who I had met once at Kartright when
he drove the kart from AmTwin.

Boy, did he drive well or what last weekend??
He won! Got pole position, then just win the race from the
start. Setting the lap record somewhere along the way too.
Great stuff!

From my understanding is that he will be racing in the karting
championship Apr 17/18 here in Singapore.
So it will be quite interesting to see him in action again.

However, something hit me...

Although Richard is still very much a 'driver-in-progress' before
he will be consider as one of the top level driver, he is now already
deemed as one of the best we have here on Singapore soil.

Yes, the Singapore national anthem was played last week at Sepang
when he stood at the top step. If I was here, I would have been
absolutely delighted by that. No doubt.

Coming to my 'BUT', his early development which lead him to where
he is now does not stem from Singapore. It was with Wright Karting
in UK, where he is from.
As mentioned previously, Wright Karting also had a hand in developing
Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, and David Coulthard.

Hence, I will be much more ecstatic if I can see a driver on the top step
who actually had his/her trainings and development locally.
It will definitely be something to be very proud of.

Instead of just trying to sell more and more, I hope at the coming kart
championship at Kartright, "teams" and/or business operators will have
some chances to boost the very fact that they are also developing some
young guns to the mold of Richard.
Teaching/ training drivers as their one of their main objective.

I also hope that Kartright will be true to its vision of
"Don't just kart, Kart right" or something along the lines
(although it does sound darn cheesy, if you ask me)

Seriously, now that we had one reasonable kart track and facilities
here, I sincerely hope that in time to come we will have some good
drivers coming through.
It will be too much to, say, have someone here to drive in the F1,
but that will be something good to dream of!
And be really really cheering about!

No comments: