Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Memorable One

23 March

A 10 point, indicating a win, to my name! Finally!! wink.gif

The Final, 2.30pm:

It was already pouring for about 30-40 minutes. The track was flooded. Streams of water were be seen running across the certain sections of the track. The noise from the rain hitting the metal roofing was deafening.

And I thought to myself, "It is going to be a long 25 laps...! Have to start from the very very back. Wet track, wet race and a wet me at the end of it." I questioned the sanity of racing somewhat. blink.gif

When the time for everyone to form up on the grid, I drove out gingerly and was Very careful not to overdrive which could result me being all sideways. Warming up the brakes was very important as it was the same for the set of wet tyres.

The initial feel was very good. The braking distance was obviously longer but the kart felt comfortable. I could tell where and how the kart was reacting. This gave me some sense of confidence.

On the grid, seeing everyone in front of me was one thing. The other was who were around me showed I will have a tough one ahead of me. Sin Wei and Leo were right at the back with me. All somewhat fast enough to be at the front but was to stuck at the back for respective reasons. Leo had some engine problems in Heat 1, and Sin Wei was involved in an incident. While I was DQ for about 1.7kg off the minimum weight requirement.

The start of the race was not good at all. The grid was all over the places but the green flag still dropped for the race to start. Being the last one, I just had to do more to catch up, and not get overly eager to get into the race. In the first few laps, there were a couple of incidents.

I could not recall clearly who were involved, the first I recalled was 2 karts were parked on the track at the hairpin after the start finish. Then I recalled Jordon on his SA250 was also sideways on certain part of the track too.

With this incidents happening, I was able to drive them by and just climb up the places.

One of the most interesting piece of racing happening just before the mid race, I think, was when Leo was behind me, and I was chasing Sin Wei who was in pursuit of Alan Smith! A very very exciting prospect. thumbsup.gif

Being stuck in the middle of the pack, I had to be very careful although we were all very close to each other. I had to judge where to make my move but also keep some distance in event either one went sideways and I would still have the time and space to drive out of it safely. It was easier said than done because the amount of spray from the water made the driving almost impossible. The end of the downhill section was particularly was very tricky with massive amount of spray from the front guys. I told myself, however, to stick very close to them through that section. It was important to do so as the 2-3 laps being behind them I could 'see' that they was not as quick as me through the twisty bits of the main pit area. With that, I know I had to make my move soon on them before I got drowned in my own helmet! biggrin.gif

It paid off!! Keeping very close to them through the downhill section and the twisty bits I was able to overtake Sin Wei who outbrake the corner, and went side by side with Alan Smith on the straight! With the better exit I was able to move ahead of him before the downhill. Amazing! I was truly elated!! smile.gif

Then I recalled ovetaking Selvan and Louis at the first hairpin too after that. I just love that hairpin now!

After that I was really enjoying the drive with the sun slowly creeping over the clouds and shone through. It was nice.

It was then I saw someone in front of me, and the distance was closing lap by lap. I realised it was Graeme, the big guy who loves driving/ racing in wet! He must be leading the 125cc Class then, which meant I was already 2nd. Not bad.

With the target in front, I push just a little harder and closed right behind him.
Again, I employed my strategy of tucking in just behind him on the twisty bit, and viola, overtook him on the hairpin before the straight. I was ahead but I knew he would be coming back at me. Hence I drove somewhat defensively after that, and had to protect my line on the downhill section. He mentioned to me after the race that our karts touched then, but truthfully I did not recalled or felt it then. Too focus? rolleyes.gif

After that I was in the clear. I guess by then there were still about 5-6 laps to go. Anything could still happened, and I just had to stay focus on the track.

In no time, I saw 1 more lap to go. I turned to see. No one was near me.
One more lap for a proper win with 10 points! Stay focus! 30 plus seconds later, I came in first!
I clinched my fist in delight, it was great!

Through this 'victory' I learnt that anything is possible, and nothing is impossible. Now I want to continue to work at tweaking the kart so that it will go faster and hopefully sometime this year there will be a chance for me to have a maximum point haul on a Sunday race.

Will talk a bit on my Qualifying and Heat 1 in another post.

cheers wink.gif

No comments: