Saturday, July 12, 2008

Change(s) is Good

I had been discussing with one of my karting friends on whether
and what setting changes we can adjust for different track conditions.
However, his take seems to be quite resistant to any adjustment.
At the moment, he is only willing to 'play' with tyre pressure.

While I am quite the opposite on changing the setting on the kart.
Of cos there are things which i'm uncomfortable in changing,
e.g. seat position.
Basically, once the seat position is right and good, there is no need
to change it as 10/15mm lower may or may not help in the stability of
the kart, as the incline seat angle has to be correct as well. Also, not to
mention the hassle of moving the kart seat can be take up quite a lot
of work and a lot of time!

However, I will happily change engine jettings based on weather
condition, widen front tyre width setting when the tyres are going
botak(bald), widening the rear tyre width settings if the rears are new.
& vice versa. These changes can help the kart to handle better and
it's simple to deal with. Wink

My friend had 'argued' his stand by saying that the power of observation
can and is a a powerful tools to be better, I agree.
But I also do think the advices from others have to be tried by
ourselves and then to determine whether it is good & suitable for us.
Else we will only see what others are doing, without trying it.
And without trying the change(s) ourselves, we will not know if indeed
that's the one change (read: improvement) that we are looking for.

However, everyone has a different take on it, I reckon.
Mine, is well, mine. And I not going to change.
Tongue Laugh

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aiyoh...different track conditions and if I am in a race, of cos i will change. Else, I am not changing but trying to improve my driving first. At the moment, I am learning about tire pressure. Once I have all the data, I will proceed to other kinds of setup.

When I said observation, I was referring to the point where we do not have coaches to teach us the finer points. So I will have to observe and then go out and kart, which is to try!